This is the first pattern I’ve made from this Japanese pattern book Stylish Dress Book but I think it’s a keeper. It’s the top section only from pattern U. I managed to find the English language version of the book and found it straightforward enough to follow.
The sizes run a little small, I scaled up one size from the largest size. It’s a little baggy, but I prefer a bit of room to move. I also added 3 inches to the length. In the picture it looks like the top section should make a drop waist dress, but once I had traced the pattern pieces it actually looked very short.Thus the addition of extra length was necessary.
The tracing was a bit of a chore. I’m used to patterns in layers from using Burda Style patterns but these were harder to work out. Each piece was printed in the same colour and the same line pattern. I think figuring out what to trace took longer than making the top!
The fabric is an African print waxed cotton. I love the diversity; an African fabric with a Japanese pattern producing something that, to me looks a bit futuristic.