Yes it took time. Yes it took perseverance. Yes I definitely cursed Amy repeatedly. Yes its finished. Here are some things I wish I’d known before I started..
I love it despite the pinkness and despite the pain of sewing that many layers together. (The fabric store was dark. I thought it was red until it was too late.)
I do have to say that there is no way it could have been so successful if it hadn’t been for so many that have blogged before me. I found the following blog entries and articles were invaluable.
- The sew mama sew interfacing guide. Especially useful when the brands in Amy’s patterns are not available in your country.
- “Made by bird” managed to make 4 in four weeks!!! (https://www.madebybird.com/ Unfortunately this site is no longer available)
- Dragoknit’s top tips
- Craftoholic, (https://craftoholsic.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-weekender-bag.html Unfortunately this blog is also now gone) The pictures alone were an inspiration
Most useful tips I came across
- Get a 1/4 inch cording foot for your sewing machine. Makes creating the cording soooooo much easier.
- Avoid pins altogether. Seriously. I found using the bull-dob clips made things easier. I didn’t stab myself repeatedly. Once you get the interfacing on everything is so structured that you really don’t need them to keep things in place.
- This pattern uses a LOT of thread. I had to go back to my sewing store 4 times. In the end they ran out of my color and I had to substitute with another for all of the interior. It took me 6 spools of coats heavy duty.
- Have spare needles on hand and don’t be embarrassed to wear eye protection. You will break needles even if you buy the heavy duty ones. Have a spare packet on hand so you don’t have to put your project on hold while you source some more. At one point I broke one so badly it cut me above my eyebrow.
- Congratulate yourself frequently once your finished. If you have been successful you deserve it.